[Scriptoris] Court Baronies for former Landed B&B's - award text

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 15:51:04 PDT 2007

Greetings Scribes and Heralds,

In a recent discussion between several staff heralds and scribes, it was pointed out that there
are new scroll texts in the 2005 Ansteorran Award Texts for 'Court Baronies for former landed
Baron/ess' and 'Court Baronies for former landed founding Baron/ess'.  I had seen these texts when
the document was released but hadn't realized the impact of the new additional Baron/ess inception
dates texts; dates which are recorded on the Order of Precidence of Ansteorra (OP) for precidence
setting standards.  This has already been discussed on the Heralds list, I believe, but I wanted
to share it with the scribes.

Former landeds granted Court Baronies on retirement, are granted precidence not from the date they
receive their Court Barony, but precidence is dated from when they stepped up to the landed
Baronial office.  The additional award text refers to the date of the Baron/ess's 'inception' as
landed, in addition to current text of the date that they receive their Court Barony, usually
granted upon retirement.

This does not apply if the retiring landed already had a Court Barony before they took the
baronial throne; their original Court Barony sets the precidence at that award level; they don't
receive a second Court Barony when retiring from landed.

At this time, there are *NO* Ansteorra Charters for Court Baronies for 'former landed' or 'former
landed also founding' that include the additional date texts from 2005; only the simple Court
Barony for non-landed gentles with the single award grant date.   New charters will be
commissioned, but it's my hope that they will never be used except for replacement/damage purposes
by Golden Scroll.

When the new texts were created, it was considered that being a landed B&B is such a involved,
longterm and demanding job; then Star Principal and Star Signet decided that for those few times
when a landed Baron/ess office transitions, the former landed being granted a Court Barony is
deserving of an original scroll, not a charter copy version; a policy this Star Signet also agrees
with.

Therefore, when directed by the Crown, the College of Scribes will attempt to commission a
scribe/s to create original scrolls for retiring landed Baron and Baroness'.  Commissions will be
offered as a courtesy first to scribes in the home Barony of the retiree; and then to the College
of Scribes of Ansteorra at large.  If no scribe is available for an original commission, then the
charter version of hand-painted copy machine format will be used, once designed.

As the new award texts with the new inception date was not created till the 2005 Ansteorran Award
Texts, the College of Scribes will not adjust scrolls prior to the 2005 texts for former landeds
who received Court Baronies, as this inception date inclusion was not the standard text at the
time you received your award; unless a replacement charter is required.  It's my understanding
that the inception date for taking the Baronial throne has been setup (or will be) for past
Baron's and Baroness' in the Heralds Ansteorran Order of Precidence in order to establish the
correct precidence.

In service to Ansteorra,
Hillary Greenslade, Star Signet Ansteorra