[Scriptoris] Address Etiquette

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 10:00:22 PST 2007

Replying to my own post, might be an etiquette no-no... but did a bit more websearching and came up with this:

  The Secretary to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Buckingham Palace
London, England  SW1A 1AA

  So, we could convert that to (tho a bit long):
  Susan of the Glenn, Principal Scribe of Excellencies John and Joan, Baron and Baroness of XYZ
C/O  Mary Jones, real address, real city, real zipcode.

  or perhaps:
  Principal Scribe of Excellencies John and Joan, Baron and Baroness of XYZ
  C/O  Susan of the Glenn,
  Mary Jones, real address, real city, real zipcode.

  Or just leave off the SCA name altogether, as the receipient won't care,
  you just want any returned letters back, so you know who didn't receive anything:

  Principal Scribe of Excellencies John and Joan, Baron and Baroness of XYZ
  C/O  Mary Jones, real address, real city, real zipcode.

  Cheers, Hillary

Hillary Greenslade <hillaryrg at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Actually, I agree with Sara that the reason I've never used the Excellencies return 'address' is that I need to know if the mail was returned, so I can make necessary adjustments to get the post delivered.

However, a nice compromise to Tessa's suggestion of correct protocol, would be to setup the return address as below, using their Excellencies name, followed by the actual address of the sender:

Excellencies John and Joan, Baron and Baroness of XYZ
C/O Susan of the Glenn, Principal Scribe of Barony XYZ
Attn: Mary Jones, real address, real city, real zipcode.

That lets the receiver know that the document is from the representative of the B&B, the Scribes SCA name, and their real contact information, in the event the post office needs to return the mail. There is probably a more correct way to do the secondary name, rather than using C/O or Attn:, but since we are using pseudonyms for our SCA names, most Etiquette books don't cover that address variation.

Anyone have a better idea?
Hillary

tessa wrote:
...Bowing, Scraping, Bowing, Scraping...
Sara, Hillary,
Thank you for teaching my ancient and narrow mind the current
ways of appropriate scroll-dom and deliveries thereof,
if not from the hand of the Court at event, if then to be mailed.
I yield to your greater knowledge, and do hereby offer
apologies to Kaithlen Hamilton for my skewed request about return address.
You are truly correct about not burdening the signatory with return mail...
as well as invitation "returns."

While here, may I please add that it is so marvelous to see "pretty papers"
go out for many venues, winners, participants, etc. Events are greatly
enhanced, but moreover,
individual's hearts are warmed by receiving these works of art.
Scribes rock!
Tessa (who sometimes cannot even spell her name)