[Scriptoris] Tricks and the Nib Question

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 18 08:53:27 PST 2008

Wanna know a trick to making Speedball C nibs carry more ink? Take a
pair of tweezers and insert a point under the reservoir, near the
tip. Bend the reservoir so it will curve down more. like your fingers
if they clawed a table. It will back up the contact point of the
reservoir tip from the end of the nib, but the gap will hold more ink
and make the nib easier to clean with a toothbrush.

Wanna know a good homemade nib cleaning solution? 1/3 household
ammonia,1/3 dishwashing liquid, and 1/3 rubbing alcohol. Use the
toothbrush dipped in it, or even soak the nibs in it for a dip or two
and then scrub.

Wanna keep blobs from happening, especially when the barometric
pressure is low and it's raining outside? Angle your work surface up--
the lower the pressure, the higher the board angle. Ever look at the
angle of the work surfaces of the English monks in that damp climate?
Also, test your nib with a stroke or two on scrap paper right after
you have had to dip again. Let your blob happen there.

I've got lots of tricks up my sleeve like that, which I have worked
out over the years.

Now, about writing big and bold-----for signs, you could hunt up some
Coit pens online (www.coitpens.com) You can clean the little slits
with unwaxed dental floss.

Just for fun, for big and bold lettering that's easy to read and you
don't have to mess with lower case, try Uncials on steroids. Spacing
for Uncials also offers escapes for goofups if you haven't been
preplanning things------ligatures (joining a following letter to a
stroke in the one preceding it-----like in the word HONOR--Uncial can
join the H's crescent stroke on the right to the following O so the
combined strokes are one penwidth wide, and the R to the preceding O
by deleting the spine of the R and using the right side of the O for
the R's spine. Just don't get crazy with all the joins--------like a
woman with too many diamonds on, it looks bad (unless you happen to
BE that woman!). ; - )

As to writing small, I only got into that because my mundane master
(a national one) challenged me to a contest. The last tiny thing I
did was a postage stamp sized quotation, a paragraph--with red uncial
versal--of Sir Francis Bacon---with the x-height of the minuscules at
less than a millimeter high on a scrap of vellum I had trimmed. The
funny thing is that a Laurel who saw it (with my magnifying glass)
wrote in her commentary that, though she had never written that
small, my lettering was "sloppy." I have giggled ever since about
that, and I have the very piece hanging prominently by my front door
for my daily giggle.  ROTFL!

Lete