[Scriptoris] Kingdom A&S

hsetrinity at aol.com hsetrinity at aol.com
Mon Feb 11 06:34:46 PST 2008

Greetings, scribes!
As many of you know, the Kingdom Arts and Sciences competition was held this past weekend in the Barony of Northkeep. There were several scribal and scribal -related entries, so I wanted to give wordfame to the following:

Scribal/ C&I entries:

Lillias MacGuffin, who entered a celtic knotwork Pelican scroll that she designed and illuminated for Mistress Gilyan. Their Royal Majesties also called Lillias into court in the evening and welcomed her into the Order of the Iris of Merit. Vivat to the Honorable Lady Lillias!

Annais Eleanor de Montgomerie, who entered a calligraphed piece, "A Poem to a Lover". This was a lovely piece that she created with quills and oak gall ink on calfskin ( I believe) vellum.

The final scribal entry was entered by myself, Suzanne Beraud, which was a quire of foliage pages from the Gottingen Model Book created in period pigments and iron gall ink on calfskin vellum. For those of you not familiar with the term, a quire is a bifold of 8 or 16 pages, (in this case, 8), gathered and stitched together. This is one of the steps in bookbinding. If you are interested in more details on how to create a quire,?please feel free to?email me privately.

Scribal-related entries:

Clairiandra Delamere displayed a?beautifully-drawn silverpoint self-portait. Her?display was?interactive, with a gessoed page that people could sketch on to see how the silverpoint reacted with the gesso.?

Mistress Therasia von Tux, a Laurel who has recently relocated to Ansteorra from the East Kingdom, entered a?sample of ceruse, or lead white pigment), that she created herself. (editor's note -Don't try this one at home, kids!)

Thanks and congratuations to all who entered, and I hope to see even more scribal-related pieces next year!

Suzanne
Star Signet

?