[Scriptoris] Pen nibs

Ackerman Pens charles at ackermanpens.com
Tue Jan 1 20:49:07 PST 2008

Dear Hillary -

I saw your posting on the Scriptoris pen site (dated early 2004) about flex nibs, and I would like to ask you a question about the following paragraph -

You can make a more flexible nib more rigid, by just using it (called work hardening), or by using a metalsmith technique to heat it with a lighter or match, then quench it in water.  To make a pen more flexible, heat it and let it air cool.

I presume when you use "pen" in the second sentence, you mean "nib". And is it true - does letting the nib cool in air make it more flexible? Sorry to question you on this point - I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Thank you, Charles Ackerman
Ackerman Pens
510-917-3038
http://www.ackermanpens.com