[Scriptoris] "Re: Working on a medieval/modern "fusion" project..."

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 8 21:44:56 PST 2008

Shades of my "old days" in mundane calligraphy! Marc Drogin was an
acquaintance of mine at one time. Didn't know anyone in the SCA would
like his stuff. Nice guy. Love his caricatures, too!

"2000 Years" is a great book. Thanks for mentioning it.

"Redaction"? I always thought that something to do with editing a
literary piece. Help me. Is that like extrapolating?

One of the mundane calligraphy books I wrote had to do with analyzing
a hand's components and extrapolating to construct "lost" letters to
complete the alphabet. (I used to mundanely design alphabets as a
professional calligrapher for Calligraphy Heaven's clientele.)

Maybe you would have better luck in getting students for such a
class. I taught it at two Known Worlds and a summer symposium where I
taught three months of it. Not many wanted the classes and the few
who took them didn't seem to keep up with the discipline and practice
that calligraphic excellence takes. Sad. It's just not a "Sunday
afternoon kitchen table craft". At least, it never has been for me.

Calligraphy is a wonderful source of joy when even one letter just
"hits" it. It is also a cause of the occupational diseases of
scribes: Blacktongue and Dyedfinger. Not to mention Concreteshoulder.

I once had a masseuse ask me if I drove a truck  for a living.
"Nope. I hunch over a light table and have for many years. Why do you
ask?"
"You've got shoulders like a truck driver."
; - DDD

HL Lete Bithespring
PS. Therasia, think your < http://www.rocks4brains.com/landolff.html>
is super. The Schwabacher family of Bastarda is glorious fun, isn't
it? I have sneaked it into some of my commissions. Most don't know
the difference, but they like it.
And yea for all cadelophiles! Vivat! ------
And if you are from Artemesia, say hello for me to Casamira.   -------L.