[Scriptoris] Gulf War 18 Scribes Point Classes

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 17:53:24 PST 2009

Greetings all,

First, a huge thanks to all the teachers who have volunteered to teach at the upcoming event of Gulf Wars #18, in March, in Mississippi at the Scribe's Point building (www.gulfwars.org).   Without your support and efforts, education in the scribal arts would certainly be lacking.

Here is the current list of Scribal Classes, at Scribes Point.
Additional scribally related classes are held at other arts areas at Gulf Wars.  Also, more classes maybe added to the schedule before and at war.
Please contact me if you want to teach.

Some classes have student limits and fees; students are not able to pre-sign up for classes except at the Information Point once Gulf Wars begins.

Monday, March 16:
10-11  Materials Used by Scribes
1-2    No Empty Spaces (flowers, leaves, criters)
2-3    Feather Quill Cure and Cut

Tuesday, March 17:
9-10   Using Period Pigments
10-12  Creating Award Insignia, How to use New Materials that Replicate Historical Methods
2-4    Making Historical Pigments

Wednesday, March 18:
10-11  Simple and Cheep Light Boxes
11-12  Styles of Illumination, a Time Line
1-2    Beginning Illumination (Layout and Borders)
2-4    Insular Miniscule Hand Calligraphy
8p-mid  Scribe's Social

Thursday, March 19:
10-11  I ruined my Original Scroll, Now What?
11-12  Using Whitework in Illumination
1-3    Beginning Scroll:  Vinework Illumination

Friday, March 20:
10-11  Gilding and White Work
12-1   Calligraphy for the Sinister Scribe (left-hand calligraphy)
1-2    No Empty Space (flowers, leaves, criters)
2-4    Batarda Hand Calligraphy

Saturday, March 21:
10-11  Feather Quill Cure and Cut
11-4   Break Down Scribes Point (volunteers welcome)

Final schedules are being cross-checked as I write; I hope to see all schedules for battles and arts online soon.  (I know you are eager!)

Volunteer Points:
All teachers will receive volunteer points for their class hours taught.

More Classes:
If you want to teach a class in any of the still open time slots, please send the following:
SCA Name, Class Name, Description (1-2 lines), Student limit, Fee, date and time of class, contact info.

Classes will be taught in the Scribe's Point Tent, just behind the Scribe's Point Building.

Scribes Point Scriptorium:
Scribe's Point building will be open for a scriptorium during the week for scribes to paint and work on Kingdom Scrolls for Gulf Wars that will be presented to their Crowns; volunteer points count toward painting kingdom scrolls; you can even paint scrolls for another kingdom.  Bring your scribe supplies, or a limited supply is available for loan. Once setup of the building is complete, painting can begin on Sunday, through Saturday noon, official hours 9am to 5pm, with evening hours by arrangement.

Aide's Wanted:
During War week, Scribe's Point 'Proctors' will be wanted to help new scribes setup for painting; a signup sheet will be posted at Scribe's Point. If you are interested in being the Scribe's Point Department Head at a future war, please discuss with me.

Time for me to start making my packing lists!
I am so ready for war to start what with all these exciting classes to take!  See you all there in a few weeks.

Cheers, Mstr. Hillary Greenslade, Scribe's Point GW18
hillaryrg at yahoo dot com