[Scriptoris] paper for original works

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 11:10:19 PDT 2009

Sarah,

When I use paper for originals, I now always use Arches 140pound hot press.  I used to use Strathmore, but have discovered that documents I did on the Strathmore are yellowing (even in pH-neutral framing) after 20 years, but the documents I did around the same time on Arches aren't yellowing.  What you definitely don't want to ever use for anything that will have calligraphy on it is cold-press paper.  The surface is very uneven, and you (or whoever is doing the calligraphy) will curse and swear through the whole experience.

In addition, you don't want to use paper any lighter than about 100pound, especially if you're doing gold leaf, but anytime you're doing painting. Lighter papers just can't take the paint without warping.

Hope that helps.

--Serena