[Scriptoris] Original Scrolls

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 16:40:07 PST 2009

Greetings,

I feel I have to throw in my two ducats. I started playing and painting here
in Ansteorra. When I was taught to paint scrolls, the charters were viewed
as disposable. You screw up on a color? No problem! Trash it and start a new
one! Some of the charters I saw being given out were atrociously painted
(paint WAY outside the lines, odd color combinations, no attention to detail
at all).

When I moved to Atenveldt and volunteered to paint, I was handed an original
piece of work on parchment vellum paper. I was absolutely terrified. The
scribe (the now-Dame Hrefna Karsefni) taught me how to take my time and pay
attention to detail. I worked harder on one scroll than I ever did on any
charter. Why? Because they weren't disposable. Someone took the time and put
forth the effort to design a gorgeous piece of work that I was priviliged to
paint. Over time, my painting got better and I ventured out into designing
and drawing (well, tracing because stick figures aren't period!) my own to
paint. The scribal guild I worked with had five, maybe six regularly
contributing painters and calligraphers and we put out a great majority of
scrolls for the kingdom as well as our Barony, so much so we were awarded
the Scarab of Atenveldt. I am proud of the works I have painted. If you want
to see them, please check out my website (
http://eleanorcleavely.weebly.com/index.html , that way you know I'm not
talking out of my bottom half)

I think the excuse (and, I'm sorry, it is an excuse) that the scribes of
this kingdom could not possibly keep up with scroll comissions is completely
off-base. I think that, if we really wanted to and were seriously willing to
put forth the effort, we could go from charters to originals. Yes, there
would be a small lag at the beginning, but that is something that is easily
overcome by giving a cut-off date for charters and a start date for
originals. By having that start date well in advance, we could build up a
library of originals and start off with a surplus.

I see no reason that a kingdom as grand as Ansteorra should not be creating
an original piece of work for all who are graced with an award from Their
Majesties. I am most certainly willing and able to do this...are you?

Ever in service with a song and a smile,
Lady Eleanor Cleavely
Descendant of the White Oak
Scarab of Atenveldt

--
http://eleanorcleavely.weebly.com/index.html

"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."
--William Shakespeare

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little