[Scriptoris] Humidity and scrolls

Don Whitney dwhitney98 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 14 02:54:55 PDT 2009

 I think the scribes in Houston deal with this more regularly, since they live in 100%+ humidity, so they might have better ideas.  The first thought that occurred to me is wax paper, but you'd have to do that before you put them away, and it would smudge when you took it out, so that's probably not the best solution.  A dessicant in your scroll box might be a better one (silica gel or other), or perhaps a vacuum seal on your scroll box if it's very humid?

  Do you happen to recall what kind of paint you used with the affected scrolls? I've never heard of this happening, and was wondering if it was specific to whatever you used to paint the scrolls (I wouldn't think W&N guaches would stick as much as, say, acrylic paint, but my only exposure to older painted scrolls is if I put one away and finish painting it months later, so I have limited experience in dealing with this problem.  I usually paint it, let it dry, and hand it off to a happy herald, where it's never to be seen or heard from again...).

Silvius, waiting for it to dry enough to mow his lawn