[Scriptoris] Advice please

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 09:07:15 PDT 2010

Agreed!
You can find images of the 'Book of the Hunt' (ie 'The Hunting Book of Gaston Phebus' at the Getty Museum online:
http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetails?artobj=1768
I believe the book is currently in the ownership of the Getty in California - I got to see a page once, it was amazing.

Books:
The Hunting Book of Gaston Phebus (Manuscripts in Miniature) by F. Avril (Editor), W. Schlag (Editor), M. Thomas (Editor)
     This is the expensive copy, around $80.
There is also an inexpensive paperback copy, many have found it at Half-Price Books:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931040389/ref=nosim/schildnet0c

Also found these links:
http://larsdatter.com/wordpress/?p=161
http://classes.bnf.fr/phebus/explo/index0.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaston_III_of_Foix-B%C3%A9arn
http://www.themorgan.org/collections/swf/exhibOnline.asp?id=800
And you can google and find a lot of other images.

Other diapering instruction can be found online at the German site for the Gottengen Model Book:
http://www.gutenbergdigital.de/gudi/eframes/texte/framere/mubu_1.htm
And the facimilie book, which is out of print (I was surprized to find 5 copies from $95. and up available online):
The Gottingen Model Book: A Facsimile Edition and Translations of a Fifteenth-Century Illuminators' Manual by Hellmut Lehmann-Haupt (Author), Edmund Will (Author),

The Gottengen Model Book also has instruction for the Acanthus leaves painting and design.

Enjoy, Hillary