[Scriptoris] Use matboards on presented scrolls

Emma Fairwyll emmafairwyll at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 20:09:38 PDT 2010

Much appreciation for your thoughtfulness in sharing this valuable time and
trouble saving information. It surely saved hearts and beauty from breaking
as well giving one inspiration to consider perservation on other
projects....blessings

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Hillary Greenslade <hillaryrg at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Discovered a new presentation trick this weekend, well, new to me.
>
> In the past, I’ve attempted to present scrolls framed and matted, as it
> protects the original artwork.  However, that is not always possible to
> frame scrolls due to cost and the frame selected may not work for the
> recipient’s home décor.
>
> Matboards are required for watercolors and gouache paints, as framed works
> can ‘sweat’ condensation when transitioned between indoors and out, and the
> condensation can drip on the work, ruining it; so matting the scroll will
> keep it away from the glass by 1/8th of an inch or so.   I like to mat the
> work when presenting it, as I can’t guarantee the recipient will.
>
> So, when push comes to shove for my presentations, I’m willing to forgo the
> frame, but I want to keep using matboards to protect the work.  Precut
> matboards come in plastic transparent cellophane sleeves; just slide your
> artwork into the plastic sleeve, behind the matboard.   Wha-la!
>
> Instantly, you have provided protection from the elements in the plastic
> sleeve for the artwork AND it can be presented and viewed through the clear
> plastic at the same time, with a lovely matboard framing the work.
> Stargate’s event this weekend had a certain bit of dripping from the clouds,
> so matboard and cellophane sleeve worked great!
>
> Hint:  Make sure you layout your work to fit the matboard opening size you
> intend to use.
>
> Cheers, Hillary

In Service to the House the Shire and the Kingdom and to the Pursuit of True
Honor,
Emma Farewyll