[Scriptoris] Paper Recommendation

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 18 14:53:44 PST 2010

The more the painted area, the heavier the paper weight, is my rule.
When working, you have to consider all the parts that go together for
the work: paper and its construction, the media used and its
viscosity, and the tools to apply the media to the surface. Even the
barometric pressure, humidity level, and the angle of the work board
can change how things succeed or don't. That comes with years of
experimentation, so you might as well get started now!  ; - )

There is no shame in messing up. That is to be expected in your
learning curve. The mark of a professional is that they have done it
so long, they know from experience when trouble is coming into the
scene and how to avert it. That's why it looks so easy when they do
it. At one time, they were where you are now .

Thinner paper, unless you are almost using "dry brush" paint, will
buckle. Also, the kind of pigment or dye color has an influence.
Pigment sits on top of the paper; dye colors sink in. (Hint: Paint
with the dye colors first, then the pigment type, and your work won't
turn to "mud" when the dye color starts pushing the pigment around.)

I particularly like D'Arches from France, although it has a slight
yellowish cast when held next to a really white paper. If I used
D'Arches,  I tended to use a black (like "Ivory Black" or certain
Japanese stick inks that you have to grind down)  for lettering that
had a brownish undertone when thinned out in a test strip. The gall
inks I used were of a brownish cast when they dried. For really white
papers, I preferred a jet black or a lamp black ink/gouache. Made the
lettering really "snap." The smoother papers that start with "2-ply"
and go up with each layer added to the sheet don't absorb moisture as
well as the "tooth" types of paper.

Some papers have a "tooth" that is rough, others like the "hot
calendared" (pressed between hot cylinders) are smoother. The really
rough ones will let the paint puddle in the depressions if the paint
is too liquid. The super flat ones will sometimes let the paint get
'''streaky" when applied and let dry.

Test a strip of the paper before you do the "real thing." If the
paint doesn't  go on the paper to suit you, try another strip, but
turn it over and use the back side. Yes, there is a "top" and a
"bottom" side to paper. Has to do with the sizing in the makeup and
whether the sizing has been applied to the paper when it is in a
slushy state before it is pressed into sheets or if the pressed sheet
has been dipped afterward in the starchy substance that fills in the
(interstitial) spaces between the fibers.

Too, the screens that press the papers (if they are not calendared)
can be lined with thin wires to make "laid" paper which, when held to
the light, will show lines. This is done on thinner papers, usually.
Watermarks are also created by thin wires on rollers or screens,
thinning the fibers in that area.

Some papers have a felted finish in which the fibers go every which
way. That kind tears in all sorts of directions. The fibers that are
lined up in the same direction give the paper a "grain" that will let
books fall open easily when the grain runs parallel to the spine of
the book.

That's probably too much info for now, but you will, at least, get an
eye for what the papers you are looking at are and will do. Let us
know what you found that you like and how they work?

The best advice is to get a bunch of different kinds of papers, test
them for whatever you want to use them for, and then put all your
tests into a ring binder for future reference. No sense in inventing
the wheel again?

Best of luck,
HL Lete Bithespring
Steppes, A
PS I write of my lettering and illumination in the past tense. In
over thirty years of lettering and watercolor/gouache work, the
cervical vertebrae have gone bad and I can't keep the pace for
massive amounts of work. I don't feel "alone" because I have read
marginal notes by period scribes who complain about problems with
their shoulders, spine and half-frozen fingers, not to mention warm-
weather attacks by the Norsemen.-------Lete