[Scriptoris] Resurrecting the dead---paints, that is.

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 8 19:33:57 PDT 2010

When stores go out of a product or even out of business, you might
want to see if they have the gouache you want and just buy in bulk at
the close-out discount.
I can hear some saying, "But what if the paints dry out before I can
use them up?"
My late mother (also an artist) would say, "Throw them at your critics!"

I would say, "You might want to try what I do if they dry out.....
cut off or unfold the bottom crimp, add a few drops of distilled
water and roll it back up, and store it temporarily, lid end down.
Let it "marinate" a while (read "reconstitute") and unroll it, dig a
bit out with a flat toothpick or popsicle stick and put that bit in a
small container like the protective cap from a waterbottle with a
sports-top. Add by drops, more distilled water and mix to the
viscosity (thickness or thinness) you want. (Don't  forget to roll
the tube bottom back up!)

Yes, your paint will dry out in the small cap, but you know what the
procedure is to get it back into a useable state, now. Those of you
who like the Japanese pan watercolors are probably saying, "Dried
paint? So what's the big deal? You just drop distilled water in it
and practice some meditation while you wait. OOoooommmmmmm........."

It's not as "happy" a fluidity as the "fresh" stuff in a new tube,
but you bought it cheaper and it lasts forever. Just don't forget and
use tap water. God knows what is in city tap water to "protect us."

About small stores not having what you want.... Sometimes the
manufacturer requires the store buy more of the whole product line
than the store has customers. I know of one small store in Dallas
that only dealt in water-based paints, but the manufacturer wanted
their whole line in the small store. It would have been a financial
disaster, so the store couldn't carry that brand, but that brand
wasn't the only brand that was excellent, so the store carried the
other brands.......and the customers and the store owner lived
happily ever after. ; - )

Good luck.
HL Lete Bithespring

Do whatever you do intensely. (Robert Henri)