[Scriptoris] Ottoman/Persian book

Carolle Ternus clternus at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 14:39:15 PDT 2010

Forwarded from another list. It may also be useful for costumers.
Radegund

It's called "Falnama- The Book of Omens" and features about 300

illuminated
> pages from Ottoman/Safavid Persian Falnamas.? It
features many previously
> un-published illuminations from private
 collections (like Topkapi Palace)
> and is gobsmackingly
beautiful.? At $40.00 USD, it was a steal.

> It's a great
resource for scribes and illuminators keen on this period-
> the

 pictures are clear and from what I saw at the gallery and in Istanbul,
> close
to true colours.? There are hundreds of examples of both men's and

 women's costumes (in various states of undress) and more hats than you

 could wear in
> a lifetime!
>
> Here's the info for
those interested:

> "Falnama- The Book of Omens"

Massumeh Farhad and Serpil Bacgi
> Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution

 isbn- 978-0-934686-14-3

 2009