[Scriptoris] Question

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 21:16:48 PDT 2010

Tiarna Devin asked:

> Two schools of thought. One says that it is better to paint your scrolls then
> black line them and the other says black line then paint.  What is the general
> thought from this discussion board?

For my part, I lightly pencil in the design, do all leaf gilding, then paint, then
add black ink outlines where appropriate.  Sometimes what seems like good
spacing in outline needs alteration once the body of color is added.  Also, as
someone else has already pointed out, it means you only outline once, and
I'm lazy that way.  In addition, all metal leaf gilding is best done before outlining
in ink, as the leaf will stick to the ink outline as well as the gilding base.  Finally,
not all illumination styles are outlined -- the azurite and vermilion penwork
style leaps to mind.

--Serena