[Scriptoris] Question about Black Lines before/after painting

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 15:45:33 PDT 2010

I think it depends on the illumination source, some will have black lines and some will not.
Some sources will outline only some areas, some outline in other colors than black and the colors may vary throughout.  .

If the source has black lines, I tend to prefer to do the lines first, wait 24 hours to completely dry, then paint, then go back and touch up only the areas that I painted over the lines on.   For gold leaf, you do the gold first, then put in the black lines.  I find that when I black line afterwards, sometimes the ink is too think, and it's difficult to get right next to the painted areas, without actually inking on the painted areas - then the ink looks too thick.  I sometimes use a technical pen, but mostly these days, I use a crowquill pen nib with ink.

Good luck. Hillary