[Scriptoris] Repair vs. re-do

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 8 06:44:53 PDT 2010

There might be, if the damaged area is, say in a foliate area. If it
is out there in the Wide Open Plains, it won't look well. I,
personally, would just do it over. On the other side, ask yourself,
would you want to get an award that has been pieced together?

The following method is not for presentation pieces but for a last-
minute, down-and-dirty display piece that people are going to see
only one time and not very closely, like an ad for something.

What you can do is to take identical paper to that which the work is
on and anchor it down. When you anchor the damaged piece over it,
make sure any laid lines or texture is aligned with the repair piece
under it.

With a pointed and brand new xacto, cut out the damaged area, turning
the piece, if necessary,  to cut cleanly through both sheets. This
way, the bottom repair-piece will fit exactly into the hole in the
damaged piece. Behind the piece, you can tape it with linen paper
that bookbinders use to repair torn pages. If you have a tiny area,
you could use the left-over area around a sheet of USPO stamps as a
tape. Any other tapes might have glues that would seep through and
discolor the edges of both papers.

Your dad's using it for carpet and linoleum is not like a repaired
trophy's being handed out at a World Cup final to the new
titleholders. (giggle) Everyone knows that flooring isn't made in
strips that are completely room-sized, and their nature is that they
have to be pieced. Now, (she said, giggling) just how large did you
say the piece you are doing is sized?  Maybe you could get away with
a repair? : -)

To save yourself some time in redoing it, you'll need a glass-topped
table or a sheet of glass supported on both ends or a patio door's
glass. Next, put a bright light below it. Place the ruined piece on
the glass and top it with the new sheet. Trace or mark verrrry
lightly, with dots to be connected later for the artwork and put some
guide lines for the text. You' might want to take this opportunity to
correct any lettering or spacing problems.

Another way is to put the ruined piece on the glass, paint-side down
and the good sheet on top, good side down (yes, paper has "sides" due
to its manufacturing process). Now, make your guide lines and marks.
That way they will be on the back of the good sheet and you won't
have to worry with erasing them, possibly damaging the new art work.

Now you can do a piece that is up to your reputation as a dedicated
scribe. You just won't have gotten as much sleep......

For myself, I try to do things by a saying that comes from the Bible
about doing something "heartily and as unto the Lord." Works for
me....... Everyone eventually chooses their own criteria for how to
work.....

Best of luck,
Lete