[Scriptoris] Reeds & feathers ; - )

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 27 12:43:09 PDT 2010

Just for fun:
Reed pens are handled differently from quill pens, 180 degrees
differently.

Quill pens can't stand to be in ink for long. The cells absorb the
ink, and the tip starts to splay. That's why a "secretary" in the
days of quills didn't begin to take dictation unless 50 0r 60 nibs
had been prepared and carved for the day's work.

Reed pens are just the opposite. You WANT them to suck up the ink so
you can write longer without going back to the ink all the time. The
tip won't splay like quills.

I have made and written with both, including George Yanagita's method
of "dutching" a nib prior to scribing with it. You have to make your
own tool to do that. Not enough demand for it to be manufactured.

In addition, only the first five feathers were used---off the bird's
left wing if the scribe was right'-handed and vice versa. All the
barbs are stripped off and the rib cut to a max of, say, 8 inches.
The curve of the rib fits more nicely if you choose a primary flight
feather from the correct wing.

The leaving of the barbs on the feather is strictly Hollywood and no
more resembles the real thing than the bump-and-jiggle of Hollywood
belly dancing or the 1/2 hour sword fights of the swash bucklers.
(I've seen the finals of our rapier guys, and the fight didn't last
20 seconds until someone would have taken a mortal wound!)

Plus, unlike Hollywood scribes, no one used tail feathers. Somehow,
the pheasant tail gets used a lot in movies. How do they keep their
noses from being tickled or their eye from being swiped with one of
those six foot  things? Leave the pheasant tailfeather for the
banquet's cooked bird which has had its feathered skin draped on the
dish!  ; - )

Leaping down from my "high horse," I remain

YIS,

Lete B.