[Scriptoris] Pens, the choices, "and everything else"....

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 29 12:49:59 PDT 2010

Always experiment. Tools. Media. Surfaces (provided the surface will
hold still long enough to be written on......). Even places. I have
finished scribing work (for immediate presentation in court) while on
a knockdown (and flimsy) table on the edge of a paved and well-
traveled street in approaching dusk at a previous Warlord.

On occasion (not at a Warlord), I have set up a layout using a pencil
sharpened with an exacto until the pencil lead looked like a slot
screwdriver point.

Another tool, if you don't mind writing larger, is to use a
carpenter's pencil (Bevel the point.) from the hardware store. Even
larger, and more like a reed pen tip, is to bevel a popsicle stick or
a tongue depressor. Let it sit in ink for a while, to soak it up
before use. (Big practice shows big mistakes!--easier to learn by.)

As long as you reconfigure it, you can write with just about
anything, even shaped mat board or twigs or your longest
fingernail !!!---I have a varied background in trying out things. ; - )

It's wonderful that you will have some teachers at 3-C. Don't miss
the opportunity. Calligraphy is a wonderful road to begin and will
take a lifetime of traveling.

YIS,
Lete
"Old calligraphers never die; they just lose the point."----EHC