[Scriptoris] Scribal exhibit at SMU

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 10:16:43 PST 2011

Sylvana Barrett - she's the scribal demonstrator, educator and art
historian used by the Getty Museum in California. Often when the Getty does a
manuscript exhibit (which is often), she teaches an accompanying workshop during
the exhibit, I'm told it's hard to get into her classes.   .  During the Knowne
World Heraldic and Scribal (KWHSS) conference in Los Angeles, a few years back,
she provided a pre-event 2 day workshop - it was fabulous fun and there were
scribes in the class there from across the SCA kingdoms.

The KWHSS event also paid expenses to get RanthalfR Asparlundr down from the
Midrealm to teach.   In fact, the KWHSS conference that year was a bit more
scribally focused than the many other KWHSS events I've been to, which are more
Heraldic focused - I actually heard a complaint about it from one of the heralds
- it was great.   If you get a chance to see Sylvana work, should be good.

Dr.Roger S. Wieck - some of us in Houston got a chance to hear Dr. Wieck speak
at a small museum opening of manuscripts in Beaumont, as he was invited to
participate there.  Much of the info he started out with was very basic
breakdown of what a typical psalter included (calendar, psalms, etc), as many of
his audience was novices in the manuscript medium, but then he covered some more
details about manuscript books that was a delight to hear and we had the
opportunity to ask a few questions.  His work is often in some of the better
museum exhibition books as they come out from either the Pierpont Morgan,
Walters, Met or Getty Museums.  If you own his books, he'll likely autograph
them for you.

Don't know Dr. Christine Sciacca, but I believe I've seen some of her books at
the Getty.

I'm just miffed that the lectures are during the weekday, else I'd be there -
you local folks should take advantage!   I'm jealous!!
If SMU got these two folks on their lecture series, definately worth checking it
out.

Ya'll enjoy it!   Cheers, Hillary