[Scriptoris] A fun quote

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 29 09:30:14 PDT 2011

A fun quote taken from the 1989 "Artful Letter" series on the page by
Ann Hogue:

"There was a man born blind, who had several apprentices in his own
condition. Their employment was to mix colors for painters, which
their master taught them to distinguish by feeling and smelling; it
was indeed my misfortune to find them at that time, not very perfect
in their lessons; and the professor himself happened generally to be
mistaken. This artist is much encouraged and esteemed by the whole
fraternity." ---- Jonathan Swift, "Gulliver's Visit to the Grand
Academy of Lagado.

I once had a watercolor teacher say that more than two colors will
give you "mud." Another teacher told us to save the "mud" because we
could use it as "mother color" to temper colors that were too
bright.-------- Not "One man's meat is another man's poison" but of
the same ilk,  don't you think?

(Still giggling)

YIS,