[Scriptoris] Natural pigments question

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 18:38:46 PDT 2011

Hard to explain this subject very well in writing without pictures or videos.
I'm sure the internet-savvy folks will provide links shortly.  In the meantime,
here are some basic things.

You do *not* just pull out a brush and mix binder & pigment together as though
you were mixing two paints. This will give you a lumpy mess. You need a slightly
rough tempering implement & surface, such as a mortar & pestle which you will
never use for anything else ever again, or a glass muller & flat marble grinding
surface. Sandblasted heavy glass can work as well (*not* acid-etched, as that
can alter colors of pH-reactive pigments). You will also need palette knives
(metal or plastic), and a eyedropper to use to add binder solution to pigment.

You can use gum arabic as a binder (the commercially prepared stuff has
additives, so I make my own from gum arabic powder), or glair (whipped egg
whites that you then leave out for a while & skim the liquid portion from the
fluffy stuff).  Of course, if you're trying for egg tempera panel paint, or
period oil paints, or encaustic, you'll use different binders. My assumption is
you want to make paints for book illumination. :))

Ratio of pigment to binder depends on a lot of things, including the binder, the
pigment, the humidity, the type of paint you're trying to make (you use a lot
more gum arabic in modern watercolors than in period paints). Really, figuring
out the correct ratio is a matter of trial and error, and lots of experience.
The key is to add the binder to the pigment one drop at a time.

Decide early on if you care about whether you are using period techniques &
materials, or modern techniques & materials. Modern paint-makers use additional
materials & techniques that are not described as being part of the artist's
process in period manuals. If you care about using the period process, read the
period manuals.

The earth pigments are good "starter" pigments. Being the most ancient of
colorants, they are also the least fussy. They're also (pun intended) dirt
cheap, so if you mess up, no big loss; get more and try again.

Play around a little & have fun experimenting. Keep a notebook of observations
of your results. Have fun!

--Serena