[Scriptoris] Quills and problems....

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 03:57:54 PST 2012

 From what I understand, parasites can also be frozen for a term in a
baggie in the freezer.

Another point is that the best feathers of a bird (different birds
for different sized lettering, as in crow quills for small lettering,
swans for the big stuff) are the first 5 flight feathers, the big
ones. Think of seeing a hawk in flight and the feathers that look
like fingers at the end of the wings.

The shape of the way the curve that wraps around the bird's body is
also important for the way the quill lays comfortably across the hand
between the thumb and forefinger. Left bird wing feathers for a right
handed scribe; right bird wing feathers for a left-handed scribe.
Using the correct wing for the scribe's hand means the scribe doesn't
have to "fight" the quill's wanting to malevolently rotate while you
are concentrating on lettering.

Cut the quill's nib and then, about 8 inches from that point, chop
off the de-barbed quill. Look at all the woodcut pictures of scribes
working. There are no barbs on the quill at all. That business of
long, barbed quills is sheer Hollywood, and we of the SCA know how
really accurate all the Period movies portray the life and times of
that era, right? I found Hollywood quills tickle my nose and get in
the way when the lettering is being done just in front of my face,
the place the surface is supposed to be.

You might also want to look up "dutching" the quill, as described in
articles by the national, mundane calligrapher George Yanagita. Makes
for nicer nibs  and , for me, better lettering, from those nibs I
have used which were "dutched."

Best of all efforts to you.....

YIS,
Lete