[Scriptoris] Information sought

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 21 17:36:21 PST 2012

I have never done or heard of anyone glazing gum arabic over a
gouache layer, and I was a painter in several mediums for a long time.

To begin, I agree heartily with Hillary's advice. Mix before painting.

Secondly, I would suggest you do gouache test strips of one, then
two, then three layers of gouache, no additives. Then glaze a third
to a half of the strip and let it sit until dry.

Observe the results of each glazed gouache strip and the visual
effects. Which one dusts off the most/least? Which one has cracking
the most/least? Which one is the glossiest/ least glossy? Which
color / brand fares best? Etc.

A similar style of study is Ike color fastness tests in which you
paint strips and cover half the strips with some kind of light-
blocking mask, let sit in the sun for a long time, then remove the
mask to see what happens in degrees of fading when you hang the
painting with that color on a wall that catches the sun. One color,
Antwerp Blue, fades in room-light, but "comes back" if stored in a
dark closet for a while, or that's what W-N said happens...

In any studies. make notes  on the test pages that you can keep and
refer to. You may want to give a class/ workshop/ write an article
later....
My philosophy is that if you are given the information, try it out,
share what works so you can make another painter's life a little
easier... That's very satisfying, I find.

YIS,
Lete