[Scriptoris] Baronial confusion control on patrol

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 15:55:15 PST 2012

Hi all,
In reference to Biau-douz's comments about goose feathers,
if you do collect some moulted feathers, it's best if they fell off the wing naturally, rather than feathers still connected to the wing's, as in during hunting season - I've read feathers are very difficult to remove when still attached, without damaging the barrel of the feather, the part we want for calligraphy use.   So, best to collect those found by the lakes and zoo's, as they drop - you want good size barrel widths, as from flight feathers, not tiny feathers.

If you do collect natural feathers, you want to remove parasites:
- wash in hot water
- put in a sealed plastic bag in a warm room (attic, hot car) for several days or weeks to suffocate bugs.
- put in a sealed plastic bag with several cotton balls wet with acetate (fingernail polish remover) to suffocate bugs.

Don't worry about damage done to feather barbs, they are usually removed from quills anyway, we don't care about 'pretty', rather function.

Cheers, Hillary