[Scriptoris] Flight feather characteristics+Bonus tips

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 10:02:05 PST 2012

Thanks, Hillary. Once in a while Half Price Books has a DJ copy of
the excellent book you recommend.

Here's some more info that can be shared:

The problem with identifying flight feathers:
A lot of mundane people have never really looked at a feather because
they aren't an artist who is going to make a tool of it. They think
the barbs of all feathers are the same on both sides of the rib. The
tail feather is a good example of that idea. Tail feathers are good
for dusting applied sandarac off a vellum piece that is going to be
scribed.
; - )

Here's your SCA scribes' Sherlock Holmes tip:
For the wing feathers, look for one side to have a wider barb on one
side and a smaller one on the other. The narrow one is the one that
faces ahead when the bird is flying. That is the way you can
distinguish a wing feather and also figure out which side of the bird
that feather came from.

Bonus tips:
1. Quill nibs do NOT like to sit in ink. They will splay, and the
tips move to leave a gap. Because of that, Period "secretaries" would
prepare and cut 50 to 60 quills for ONE day's work, would you believe?

2. Reed nibs DO like to sit in ink to absorb enough to make several
strokes before needing a refill. I have even scribed bigger letters
with popsicle sticks and tongue depressors, with the end bevelled to
get the "thins" as a true "thin." Those like to sit in the ink, too.

3. A question mark-formed, narrow strip reservoirs can be cut from a
soda can and inserted in to the de-pithed, aged rib, touching just
short of the nib tip. The bulge is nearest the paper to be scribed,
and its curled top touches the upper end of the nib part of the rib.
You will have to work to get the shape and the tension right so the
reservoir is wedged enough to not fall out, but loose enough to let
the ink through at a decent rate. Nit-picky, but worth it in dip-
times. After a few times fiddling with it you will get the hang of it
and next time it won't be such a task. Just hang in there and
learn. ; - )

YIS,
Lete (mka Elaine)