[Scriptoris] Book: TRADE IN ARTIST'S MATERIALS:

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 10:25:06 PDT 2012

Forwarded from another list,  book info.
A bit pricey at $160.00 on Amazon, but perhaps worth an interlibrary loan viewing in order to check out the chapters of interest to your art medium.
Enjoy, Hillary
.
[MR] New Book on Artists' Materials
Posted by: "Garth Groff by way of Shane B" shaneb at ij.net   shane1bb
Tue May 1, 2012 6:55 pm (PDT)

Noble Friends, and Atlantian Artists,

New at the UVA Fine Arts Library: TRADE IN ARTIST'S MATERIALS:
MARKETS AND COMMERCE IN EUROPE TO 1700, edited by Jo Kirby, Susie
Nash and Joanna Cannon (ISBN 9781904982258; our call number N8530
.T83 2010). This massive book (489 pages!) contains contributed
articles from a conference held in 2005. Its 28 papers discuss the
marketing and transport of various artists supplies during the middle
ages and somewhat beyond. Topics covered include production and sale
of pigments, oak boards, alabaster, parchment, and much more, in
countries ranging from Italy to Norway, and most places in between.
The text is lavishly illustrated with color illuminations and
monochrome engravings, maps, facsimiles, and the occasional modern
photo. Each paper has its own bibliography, plus both a glossary and
an extensive index complete the work. This is a book filled with
useful background material and history our Scadian artists and
illumators should not miss.

Yours Aye,
Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir's Unofficial Librarian
(aka Garth Groff, UVA Cataloging and Metadata Services Dept.)