[Scriptoris] College Notes!

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 14:52:15 PDT 2012

Good tips - thanks Lete.
Hillary

________________________________
From: Elaine <eshc at earthlink.net>
To: "Scribes within Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <scriptoris at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Scriptoris] College Notes!

One of the AHSS problems scribes apparently came up with concerned drawings and erasures.

Hints for scribes from one who has been at it a long time, but is now retired due to neck stenosis:

When I was designing, both for the SCA and commercially, my favorite translucent layout paper was a smooth bond by Borden and Riley. Then I went to a heavier bond (not a laid paper type) for tracing to make the original I turned in.

If time was short, I found that doing the pencil stuff in reverse on the back side of the original's paper made it easier to avoid having to erase so intensely as some artists have to. I then put it on a light table and traced what I could see through the paper.

I know that doing something larger and shrinking it slightly "crisps up" the lines, but that technique should only be done after a very long time at practicing it. The shrinking can create problems. It is truly better to work at the required size unless you spend years working from dawn to dark in a York monastery in a scriptorium!! ;-)

Doing something too large and having to shrink it to fit the requested size can reduce the size of lines, as well as the negative (white) space inside letters. Example: the Humanist hand's small "o" (minuscule/lowercase), when reduced by 50 %, actually reduces the interior until 25% is left. Why? Take half off the width and half off the height. Now look at the interior. The Humanist minuscule "e" often becomes a blob when reduced.

Here is an example of "O" at 48 points    O          reduced by 50%  to 24 points  ------>      O

A light table or a glass topped table with a lamp under it or art work taped to a window/ patio door with a removeable style of tape (3 M blue) serves well for seeing through the paper to copy the image wanted.

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring, Steppes