[Scriptoris] OOP: University of Iowa's miniature books collection

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 14 17:55:18 PDT 2013

Huzzah for miniatures!!

As a long time scribe, I had fun one time with a metal pen nib that I
specially honed and wrote Humanistic Minuscule at 1/20 (that's one
twentieth) of an inch high for the body and ascender of a line. I had
to wear jeweler's goggles, but I did it.

I also did an uber-miniature short piece with a versal and first  two
lines in red gouache of a quote (the rest in black ink) from Sir
Francis Bacon (b. 1561).

Wasn't it baseball Hall of Famer Dizzy Dean who said: "It ain't
braggin' if you done it."

I put them on display at an SCA show, providing a magnifying glass to
better see the small postage-sized vellum piece. (Baron Edwin
remarked on them to the court.)

My biggest giggle afterwards (and is still funny to me) was a
Laurel's (unnamed) written commentary: "I have never written that
small, but your letters are sloppy," Keep in mind, they were
bordering on microscopic and were all hand written. ; - DDDDDDD (my
guffaws)

What I want to know is who did the binding on the U of Iowa pair?
Wow!!!!

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring, Steppes
(antique scribe and illuminator)