[Scriptoris] College of Scribes – Round Table Meeting

Star Signet star-signet at herald.ansteorra.org
Mon Jul 15 07:50:50 PDT 2013

Here are the items of note from the College of Scribes meeting at King's
Round Table, Saturday July 13th, 2013

1. Our new Southern Regional Signet is Penelope de Bourbon!

2. The new sets of Charter Masters are out and available. The new Charter
Codes and the list of recently retired Charter Codes are up on the College
of Scribes Website under “Charters.”

3. The new Regional Charter Deputies were announced: Master Cassius Lepus
in the Northern Region, Master Duncan Hepburn in the Central Region, and
Mistress Hillary Greenslade in the Southern Region. These fine folks have
Master sets and paper and can also be contacted for getting Charters to
paint as they are here to help out our wonderful Regional Officers with
this task.

4. Known World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium was fabulous this year! Much
thanks to the Barony of Bjornsborg to hosting this event. I would love to
see our Ansteorran Heraldic and Scribal Symposium be fabulous next year as
well!

5. New Scroll Texts are coming! This will be in stages, with the AoA level
charters coming out first. These are a wider variety of wording options for
some existing awards, worked on diligently by Mistress Serena Lascelles and
Mistress Sara Penrose.

This does ‘not’ mean that we are doing away with the older scrolls and
texts. Think of this as the ‘Scribal Expansion Pack.’

Once the new wording has been finalized and announced, the call will go out
for new designs using the new wording!

6. We have a new College of Scribes Handbook drafted! This book is
specifically an update and expansion of the policies and procedure of the
College of Scribes. The majority of educational materials will continue to
be on the website. Expect this to be out and available soon as we are
working to get that finalized in the very near future.

7. The College of Scribes and Illuminators website has been updated! The
details of this were posted recently, but highlights include a completely
newly programmed site (not just an update of graphics), with all of the old
content. The galleries are still in need of updating, and that process is
underway. As soon as the right programming is determined to make those more
efficient for both viewing and updating, we will get existing data
transferred over and start updating both the Charter Library and the
Originals Gallery.

Updates to the Charter Library will not only include the new Charters, but
a ‘Retired Charters image’ Gallery for people to reference and identify old
charters that might be found hiding in the woodwork.

Penelope de Bourbon is heading up the project to make certain that we have
nicely painted versions of all existing Charters with the proper paint
pallet, to go on the site.

* We need more educational articles! If you have taught a class or done
research into the scribal arts, please consider allowing the College to
post a copy of your research or handout on our Educational page. (Or if you
have your own page, that we may link to it).

* It was also suggested at the meeting that it would be very helpful for
people to be able to see ‘progress’ pictures of illuminated works, to
better see how it is done. So if you are working on a project and willing
to send it in for display on our Gallery, please consider taking and
sending along your pictures of the work in progress as well.

8. College of Scribes Survey – a couple of months ago a survey went out to
the kingdom scribes, requesting information. Very few folks responded. My
thanks to those who did take the time to respond to that survey!

I am working on putting together a new survey that will be easy to fill out
online, for all scribes, illuminators, and anyone who wishes to be counted
among the members of the College. (If you paint charters and have fun doing
it, than you count!). The purpose of the survey is to get an accurate and
complete idea of not only how many scribes and illuminators we have in the
kingdom, but the resources available and in which areas for original work
and for teaching classes.

This survey will include options for folks who just enjoy charter painting,
or people with a breadth of experience who are not currently available to
do originals or to teach. That is all right! New scribes should please fill
this out as much as more experienced members of the College.

Having this information will also enable the college to better track the
wonderful work of individuals. I encourage both regionals and local scribal
heads to keep track of the work your individual scribes are doing.

So when the survey comes out, please take the time to fill it out!

****
The meeting was positive and productive, and my thanks to all who were able
to attend and provide input!

With joy in service,
HL Lillias MacGuffin
Star Signet