[Scriptoris] Using that printable graph paper

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 2 17:21:22 PDT 2013

Hillary, you are a wonder and a blessing of helpful sites. Thank you,
my friend.

Now, for using her gift sites:
To find what size to set your grid. make a horizontal line and
intersect it with a vertical line.
Take your pen nib and position it along the vertical line with the
lowest corner tipping the
horizontal line so you can make a vertical "zipper" as a reference
for your guidelines.
Angled "stairsteps" can distort the measurements.

If, for instance, the hand (mka "font") you are using has a descender
length of 2 nib widths,
and a body height of 4 nib widths, and an ascender height of 3 nib
widths, you will have
a total of 9 left and right alternating strokes as "teeth" in your
vertical zipper.

Run horizontal lines to mark the spacing of the bottom of the
descender, the bottom of
the body, and the top of the body and the top of the ascender
("2-4-3"). That will set
the space needed for a line of text. Caps are usually just short of
the ascender's top.

Nothing looks more amateurish than too big a pen width on too small
of a set of
gridlines, or vice versa. Think of your recipient, take your time,
and do your best.

As a further hint, when you print the grids, use the thinnest paper
your computer can handle.

Tape the grid onto a light table or a glass-topped table with a lamp
shining up under it.

Position the BACK SIDE of the "good" paper face up on the grid and
LIGHTLY
pencil in  4 L-shapes to set the margin edge as guidelines when it is
turned over.

If you use "removeable" scotch tape, be sure to fold a bit under and
use that on
the non-grid-sheet-end of the tape. That way, you pull the tape off
from the inside to the outside.
Voila! No splitting of the "good" paper's edges.

If the work schedule is for what we oldtimers called "drive-by
calligraphy",
pencil the guide markers  lightly on the back side of the "good"
paper, Turn the "good" paper
over on the light table so you can see the grid shine through it.
Voila! No lines to erase on the top side and no possible smearing by
the eraser.

Always use a coversheet under your hands so you won't get body oils
from your hands
onto the "good" paper. If oil gets on the paper as you move down, the
ink may "resist"
or feather as you progress down the page.

If the "good" paper is bulgy in places, you may want to use a NON-
painted brush
handle to hold it flatter, so you won't have to fight variances when
you scribe with
the other hand.

If you really want to customize your lettering and get really nit-
picky (which I did),
keep in mind:  mechanical spacing between horizontal lines of letters
looks odd
when some interlinear spaces have lots of descenders and ascenders,
but the
"scrunch" the open space a bit closer to give the piece a visual
evenness.

On the other hand, if there are a lot of "open space" interlinears,
you may have to move the filled-up interlinear a bit farther apart to
make it look right.

Does anyone want to know about "flush left/right" margins? How about
spacing tricks
for between letters? I have solutions for that, too. Plus, good
calligraphers are familiar
with what the mundane printer's trade calls "rivers of white" and
"orphan" lettering.

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring, Steppes