[Scriptoris] Round Table Notes from the Scribes Plenary Meeting

Star Signet star-signet at herald.ansteorra.org
Sun Jul 16 16:47:12 PDT 2023

Good evening,

Thank you to those who were able to attend the College of Scribes meeting
at Round Table! I here provide the critical highlights of the meeting.
Scribal is doing well and growing again in all regions of the kingdom! This
is very exciting, and I am pleased to see so many new and experienced
artisans enjoying taking part in many aspects of the scribal arts.

1. The Charter Design project is going well. We currently have twelve
artisans who have volunteered to do new designs for the kingdom, and I
still have plenty of scrolls in need of new designs available! If you are
interested in designing a charter for the kingdom, please fill out the
interest form: https://forms.gle/Y86bgvkPbPmvNk3X6

A reminder that, for the new designs, it is encouraged for calligraphers to
make use of the newer/wider variety of options in the approved scroll texts
for phrasing.

The one change that is expected, is to please use the phrase "stellar crown
of Ansteorra" in place of phrasing using "king and queen" on all new
designs, and to leave the titles of the monarchs off at the bottom. This
will allow the monarchs to use whichever titles they prefer going forward,
allowing for wider variety appropriate to culture, persona, and identity.

2. Our Online Scribal Galleries need updating! I have transferred control
of the galleries from the old scribal web-minister email (the office tasks
were subsumed into Obelisk Herald, who is the web-minister for the College
of Heralds), to the Star Signet account. If you have images of painted
charters you would like to see included in the samples for all of our
current designs, please webmail them to me along with the kingdom's art
release form (for the painting), and I will be happy to include them. The
release form is available in the kingdom forms Library.

Also if you have a personal collection of original work/a place where you
post your work besides social media,  that you would like to see linked to
the kingdom page with the other galleries, please send me the link. It
would be nice to be able to make it easy to show off all of our artisan's
beautiful work in one place. Google Photo albums are an excellent option,
but not required.

3. Another project I am working on that is just getting started on the
website, is rebuilding our Educational Resources. The goal is to focus on
resources that are likely to have persistent links (to avoid dead link
issues), and to provide as wide a variety as possible.

For this, I am asking for help. If you have favorite scribal resources,
please email me links, with short descriptions of what they are. For
favorite museums, the idea is to keep the persistent link to the overall
collection on the page (as those very rarely change), with a list of all
the manuscripts available in that collection that people have used,
especially the major ones. I would like this to include references to as
many cultures and time periods that the SCA encompasses as possible. Links
to other, already existing collections of resources would certainly be a
big help in not reinventing the brush.

We will also work on collecting a list of resources that are not
necessarily available online, but that are helpful to people if they are
looking to build their personal collections.

4. Our Monthly Virtual Scribal Table continues to be on the second Tuesday
evening of every month, and has so far been well attended! This time is
also available if there are any classes that people across the kingdom
would like to see but have not been able to get locally, so while the time
has mostly been open for working on projects and conversation, it is also
open for anything else the scribes of Ansteorra would find useful. If you
have something you'd like to see happen during this time, please reach out
and let me know!

5. New Central Regional Officer - Honorable Lady Desire'e Dupre is now our
Central Regional Signet! I know she will do a magnificent job. Thank you
very much to Master Richard for his years in the office.

6. New Insignia Deputy - Honorable Lady Jayne Cobham is now our Insignia
Deputy, an office that has been empty for some time. She, too, will be an
excellent addition to the college and much help in this area. Please reach
out to her with any of your questions or needs in regards to making
insignia!

7. Vindheim Scribal Updates - Master Isaac, Pillar Signet, reports that the
project to make scrolls for the awards given out during the first several
months of Vindheim (when awards were still being sorted out and named) is
going well. As the Principality is currently doing all original work, they
are accepting scroll blanks (line work, or line-work and paint) from anyone
in the kingdom who would like to work on some simple original pieces that
would be collected, and the calligraphy applied. Hersirkona Kolfinna,
Baroness of Namron, is in charge of the project and can be reached for
details.

with joy in service,
Baintighearna Lillias MacGuffin
Star Signet