SR - Why a Principality?

PKieferjr PKieferjr at aol.com
Wed Apr 8 01:32:24 PDT 1998

<< At the meeting several people brought up general reasons for creating
 a principality,
 1. To get away from the bad people.
 2. Because we get ignored by everyone else.
 3. Because we feel that we are different from everyone else.

 None of these adequately addresses our situation.  None of the three
 really fits.  Here is my own take on the situation, which I feel is
 not too far from how others feel, based on personal discussions, and
 general comments at the meeting.

 Primarily, many of us feel that it would be fun.  It would be fun to
 create something new.  It would be fun to have Royalty that we would
 see more often, because they would not have as far to travel to see
 us.  It would be fun to create new traditions.  Do you see a common
 thread here?

 There is obviously some difference of opinion on how large the
 principality should be, and possibly a difference of opinion on
 whether or not we are trying to form a Kingdom in the not too distant
 future.  (For those who were there, yes I know that no one actually
 said we should push to form a kingdom quickly, but I think that idea
 was obvious behind some of the proposals)

 Other people may actually have a real agenda behind their support for
 a principality, but my only agenda is fun.

Well, that particular agenda is okay for some folks, as well as the reasons
previously listed, but that is not what I saw.

Noted, that I "had a chance" to air my views at Tempio, and would have further
opportunity to do so again at Ffynnon Gath; however, for those of you who kept
track, you will recall my current situation at home limits my activities
severly, so no other opportunity, at the moment, exists for me other than to
air my opinions here on the listserv.  If someone wishes to restate those
views in my place, then I would gladly accept that option.

So, without further ado, he is the situation as I saw it:

It has been noted by many good gentles that TRM (or TSM, if you prefer) are
assigned the burdon of representing the Crown at many local events that take
place on a regional or kingdom-wide scale.  I note in the calendar (as many of
you have) that the list of said events have grown to enourmous proportions and
would put a strain on Them.  In fact, I would say that attending each and
every event would be asking someone to violate the laws of physics by being in
more than one location at the same time.  Obviously, some events and, in fact,
most of them, would be missed, through no fault of their own.

There was also the concern that the beuracracy that comprises the Kingdom is
also overly-burdoned, even if they had regionals to assist them.  I don't
think anyone, to my knowledge and limited reccollection, can dispute this
(although someone may prove me wrong).

Thus the reasoning that I had for creating a principality.  I reasoned that if
such a body of government were created, its purpose would be twofold:  (1) To
allow TRMs to share the burdon of representation with one or more territorial
Princes, thus easing the workload and giving more flexibility and capacity for
attending events, and (2) easing the workload on the beuracracy by allowing
the further distribution of that workload.  This second reason is currently in
dispute.

As to the matter of where we should draw the boundary line, I would lean
toward the proposal of including both the Southern and Coastal Regions, with
the inclusion of some Central Region chapters upon invitation.  However, Sir
Conor Mac Cinneade's objection to the inclusion of Stargate (for various
personal reasons) is noted.  As an alternative, the Western Region was a
consideration, although I have heard that they would prefer not to become a
principality, and, therefore, must also be taken into consideration.

With that out of the way, we come to the matter of becoming a seperate kingdom
in the future.  I spoke of this proposal without any consideration for this
reasoning, because I do not see the need for it.  I am not in favor of
dividing, dissolving, or destroying this kingdom.  I never have been, and I
never will be.  This was never my intent.  I am merely addressing a
beureaucratic problem and I am attempting to seek a fair and equitable
solution for everyone concerned.  My heart still lies with Ansteorra, united
across all boundaries fixed, variable, real, imagined, mundane, and
idealistic, as should all those whose loyalty is to this kingdom.  I do not
believe that the creation of a principality necessitates the further creation
of a new kingdom down the road.  Why should it?

Previous attempts to plant the seeds of creating a principality were shouted
down because these ideas came from the top, which was most likely to meet
resistance from the populace.  Today, the idea is now coming from a grass
roots level, which is the fastes way to garner support.  There is your
indication that the people are ready for such a concept.  Cultivate wisely.

And that, good gentles, is my two cents on the matter.  I thank you for your
patience.

Lord Johann Kiefer Hayden (Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.)