SR - Let's get started!

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Apr 8 08:48:19 PDT 1998

Conor wrote:
> First, let's choose a name for our region.

Congratulations!  You're now the vice-chairman of the
entirely unofficial heraldry committee for an as-yet
non-existant group!  As dragooned chairman, I give you your
first task: research period naming conventions for
territorial areas.  I don't even have Ekwall.

You talk about "building a regional identity", but then
> We do not need to commit ourselves to this name for any
> future principality.

This is senseless.  If we invest a name with symbolic power
and as a symbol of identity, people WON'T want to discard
it.

> Third, I want to propose a motto,  "Comme Faites Les
> Heros."  This is French, for "As heroes do."

Second, research motto styles.  The ones I've seen are
either adjectival phrases ("Always Faithful") or commands
("Touch not the cat but a-glove") or invocations ("Evil to
him who thinks evil [of it]").  That would make it "[We do]
as heroes do" or "Do as heroes do".  But then again *I've*
not researched it.  (Then again, MacDonell now uses "By sea
and land" -- just started a Web search -- so maybe a
preposition at the start is OK.)

Daniel de Lincolia -- look, if I can be dragooned, I'm
*not* goin' alone
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.