SR - A small proposal

Conor mac Cinneide carcassonnais at geocities.com
Sun Apr 12 21:40:59 PDT 1998

I have made no secret of the fact that I am in favor of a small
principality.  Recent postings on this list and the Ansteorran list
has driven me even more to this opinion.  People seems convinced that
we want to break off and be a new Kingdom quickly.  I am not in favor
of this and I know that others feel even more strongly than I.  A
small principality, just the Southern Region, has the best chance of
remaining a principality far into the future.  The Southern Region is
unlikely to qualify for Kingdom status for a long time.

One of my objections to a Southern and Coastal Regions principality,
is that it would nearly qualify as a Kingdom now.  In a very few
years, the step to Kingdom status would probably seem like a logical
step.  That is something that I want to avoid.  I have the same
objection to the Southern and Western Regions principality, though
since the starting population would be smaller, the transition to
Kingdom would probably take longer.  The fifth proposal (Southern,
Western, and about half of the Central) is the worst of all by this
logic.

For this, and other reasons, I support a Southern Region only
principality.

My present proposal is that we, of the Southern Region, should
discuss a Southern Region only principality, until we actually decide
yes or no.  The Southern Region can only decide the principality
issue for itself.  We can talk all we want to about forming a
principality with the West, or the Coast, or a few extra groups, but
we cannot include them without their approval.

Is anyone opposed to forming a principality if it includes only the
Southern Region?  If no one else wants to come to our party, do we
still want to throw it?  I would very much like to hear from anyone
who is opposed to a principality unless it includes the Western
Region, or the Coastal Region, or half the Central Region, or some
combination of these?  At the moment I am not interested in anyone's
ideal principality (unless it agrees with mine), but I am interested
in anyone who cannot support a Southern Region only principality, but
would support something more.

I think we should move forward with a Regional name, and start moving
toward a principality for the Region.  Beyond that can be added
later, if we decide to go ahead.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo