SR - office titles, Treasurer

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Sun Apr 12 20:54:28 PDT 1998

I don't really think there is a "period" word that covers everything
our financial officers do.  After all, they didn't have to deal with
IRS regulations in period (though I'm sure they had their
equivalent).  Much as we'd like to think otherwise, many of our
offices exist primarily to allow us to function within the mundane
world.  The "period" sounding titles we assign just make them less
intrusive to us.  To the rest of the world, "president", "athletic
director" (yeah, I laughed when I heard that one, too), and
"treasurer"  are the only versions they would understand.

> (I dimly recall the Board Minutes talking about "exchequer"
> as a *proposal*, but I should really re-check it.)

I have to admit, I haven't read Board Minutes in a *long* time.  I
guess that'll have to change...  I was only relaying the title used
in the Corporate "Chancellor of the Exchequer's" Handbook which,
by SCA standards, is a fairly new document.  (i.e. printed within the
last few years)

> Please don't change Ansteorran practice -- or at least get
> someone to actually research it (more than my five minute's
> looking in the OED) before changing!

I certainly don't think there is going to be any rush on changing
what we call our financial officers.  It took a very long time
before "reeve" began to disappear and it's still a *long* way from
gone... You may or may not have noticed by now, but this crew tends
to resist change.  I can say that, cause I'm just as bad about it as
everyone else!  :-)

>  Daniel

HRH Kat
Lori Campbell