SR - Principality Work Mirage (even longer)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Apr 13 21:52:02 PDT 1998

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Lee Cavett <catsden at texas.net> wrote:
> Yes, I admit it.  I gave in to the Dark Side.

Welcome!  I visit here (far too) often.  Guided tours are
weekdays at 2 PM; sign up at the gate.  Darth is throwing
a BYOB mixer on Friday at 13 o'clock.  Hope you can make it!

About an Order of Precedence: actually, I don't see a
necessity for a principality OP.  I think it'd actually be
more convenient for one OP with all the kingdom awards.
There could still be a precedence herald for the
principality, but they could just be a deputy to Zodiacus
and help them with *all* their work.

> period criticism, I'll be sure and help you out when I
> can, too... garb, armor... whatever.

Um, "garb" in the sense of "wheat-sheaf" has a first OED
citation in 1502, in the sense of "clothing" in 1622 --
post-SCA-period, going by the Corpora definition of
"pre-17th Century", tho some advocate a later date.  ("Garb"
as a verb meaning "to clothe" dates to the 19th century.)

What did they wear?  "Clothes".  The OED has "cla{th}as"
circa 888 AD.  The first "o" I see is about 1297,
"clo{dh}as".  See "treasurer", "can", "car", "children",
"gate", et cetera.

Daniel de Lincolia, sitting there clothed, and in his right mind.
(Mark 5:15)
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.