SR - Shadow Kingdom--not

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 14 20:54:38 PDT 1998

At 06:57 PM 4/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>A few points:
>1.  I do not think an entire kingdom would be turned into principalities.  A
>viable group would be left to carry on with the kingdoms name, etc.  As
far as I
>know, I don't think this has ever happened.  Tho some kingdoms are a former
>shadow of themselves (ie Atenveldt).

Gotta quibble a little here. Atenveldt is not a shadow, former or
otherwise, of itself. Atenveldt is Atenveldt. I'm going to stick my neck
out here, and wager that Atenveldt as it is now is not terribly different
than what Atenveldt was in the beginning: a group a SCAers somewhat
centralized around Phoenix, AZ. I prefer to think of  Atenveldt in her
present form as a crystalized distillation of what she always was--a mother
of Kings and Kingdoms, a grande dame returned to herself after years of
providing nurture and support to her progeny. She retains her high-ranking
precedence in the Known World, her long, grand heritage, and a strong,
active populace. Note here that I mean no offense at all to anyone when I
say this, but doesn't it seem just a little, I don't know, disrespectful
perhaps? to refer to a Kingdom with such a heritage as a "shadow"? It may
be worth a moment's reflection and maybe a consideration of some different
perspective.

Aquilanne

Dory Grace--The Inkwell
denouncer of Tytyvylus & warrior crone