SR - Let's get started!

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Apr 8 09:21:18 PDT 1998

Tivar wrote:
> That name is "Cibola". For those of you unfamiliar with early Texas
> history, Cibola was the land where the "Seven Cities of Gold"
> were supposed to be located. Spanish explorers spent quite
> a bit of time wandering around Texas looking for those cities.

OOOOOOOOOH.  I think I'm in love.  (With the *name*, Gio!)
You just don't get a lot more period than that, and we're in
the area too!  In older registration rules, there was an
explicit exemption allowing an obsolete name for an area to
be used for an SCA branch there.  Texas != Cibola, Cibola
was never a known place, and the rules rewrite lost the
rule, but I *suspect* it'd still fly.

For those who may wonder: I just asked a Venezuelan how it
would be pronounced, and she said "see BOW la".  Three
syllables, stress on the second one.  Pronunciation of "b"
varies from place to place.  The Spanish distinguish "b" and
"v"; Venezuelans do not.

Daniel "oh WOW" de Cibola
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.