SR - Principality Work Mirage (long but important)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sat Apr 11 12:10:51 PDT 1998

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> wrote:
> I rather like the idea of having the Coronation the day
> after the Coronet list. (Heck I'm for "shower and get
> ready, it's time for evening court and your up".)

I'm not so sure.  Having a delay between the tourney and
investiture gives several advantages:

- It gives the Coronet a pair of helpers with their duties.

- It gives the heirs some time to adjust and gather a support
  team (and get nice clothes made).

- It gives the heirs time to acquire a clue.  I can forsee
  Joe Rather-New winning tourney, stepping up the next day,
  and immediately putting his foot into his mouth down to
  the kneecap.  With a pause, Old Grizzled Dukes can come up
  and say, "Congratulations!  Please let me know if I can
  help you in any way.  Just out of curiousity, what sorts
  of things were you planning to do?" and whup him with a
  clue-by-four as needed.

The Middle has Crown Tourney about 12 nanoseconds after
Coronation -- well, a few weeks, actually.  The Midrealm is
big, though, and their crowns need help.  But there's almost
always heirs in case of trouble.  If the Crown dies (which
the Lord forbid) without heirs, there has to be an emergency
Crown Tourney and immediate step-up, adding stress to an
already stressful situation.

Interesting thought: investiture on *Saturday*, next coronet
tournet on *Sunday*.  One full term to acquire clues etc.
No failure requiring a snap coronet tourney even if the new
Prince and Princess are hit by lightning during the storm
Saturday night.

Another question if-and-when: how long would the princely
tenure be?  Six months is *not* in any governing documents.
The Middle does five and seven alternating: the summer/
Pennsic reign is shorter but more stress per month, and that
way the weather is better for the tourneys and coronation
(May and October).  The West uses four months.  This has the
advantage that if you have Butthead P. on the thrones you
have to duck-and- cover for 33% less time.  This gives more
people a chance at the Big Ring.  This also puts Coronet
Tourney out-of-synch with Crown Tourney at least twice per
year, which leads to ...

When would Coronet Tourney be W.R.T Crown Tourney?  That
only matters to people who want to try for either, since
Corpora says you can't fight in one if you've won the other.
If Coronet Tourney were every six months just *before* Crown
Tourney, then Coronet may get a little better pair, the ones
who would otherwise have gotten Crown.

Daniel brestingr
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.