SR - Old Spanish--Naming the Region

avicenna at ix.netcom.com avicenna at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 13 17:57:29 PDT 1998

> In a similar vein, looking at the Spanish heritage of this area of the > world, Mari ferch Rathyen had several very good ideas about naming the > region which I am passing along for her.
>
> Mari pointed out that San Compostella derives from the Spanish "Campo > Estella" or "Field of Stars" and suggests an analogue, Campoleon   "Field of the Lion." This is her favorite name pick.  I like it as
> well, and would be pleased to see it in Spanish (reflective of the
> heritage of South Texas)

And thus Valencia, her ears aroused and her heart quickened by the
familiar passionate sound of the Spanish language, swoons with
home-sickness for her faraway lands, finding much favor in Mari's
suggestion.

> Hearking back to Tivar's suggestion, Mari is concerned about the
> phonetic similarity of "Cibola" and "Ebola" - as in the deadly virus.

Cibola has a nice history to it.  However, I agree, it is too close to
Ebola for comfort.

Gunnora wrote:
> I'd like to possibly follow this line of suggestion with Campozul >(Field of Blue) thinking here of the solid swathes of bluebonnets on >the roadsides throughout Texas.  This would allow use of the bluebonnet >as a badge.

I like this one as well.

And "Stela del Sur" or "Stella del Sur" for Southern Star.
Pre-1500 Old Spanish     "stela" = star  and  "sur" = south.
Or maybe Blue Star, Stelazul (?).
Conjecture at this point. But names in these directions roll very easily
off the tongue. Any additions to this train of thought?

Disfrutando del Sueno,
	Valencia de Avicenna