SR - Naming the region

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 11:31:56 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Daniel de says:

>For "Cibola": would someone please check an Ecyclopedia
>Britannica to see if it's listed?  If it is, it's protected
>from conflict and so we couldn't register it.

Sorry, gang.  Here's what the Online Britannica has:

Spanish LAS SIETE CIUDADES DORADAS DE CÍBOLA, legendary cities of
splendour and riches sought in the 16th century by Spanish
conquistadores in North America. The fabulous cities were first reported
by Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca who, after being shipwrecked off Florida
in 1528, had wandered through what later became Texas and northern
Mexico before his rescue in 1536. The viceroy of New Spain,
Antonio de Mendoza, sent an expedition in 1539 under Estéban, a black
slave who had been shipwrecked with Cabeza de Vaca, and Fray Marcos de
Niza to verify de Vaca's reports. Fray Marcos, assured of the cities'
existence by an Indian informant, claimed to have seen them in the
distance. In 1540 Mendoza dispatched Francisco Vázquez de Coronado to
search for the cities; he found only a group of Zuni pueblos, although
he had explored as far north as modern Kansas.

It's also a county in New Mexico.

So, I guess Cibola is out.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, Capitan