SR - whats in a name?

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Wed Aug 19 17:20:08 PDT 1998

At 06:38 PM 8/19/98 -0500, 'wolf wrote:

>.... discription of some major features that make a region unique ("the
>southern hills", the many rivers, ... maybe something to reflect a
"highland"
>environment - how are regions named in highland scotland, wales, ireland,
>europe .... ), the climate, flora / fauna (the great herds of bison
("cattle")
>that once grazed here, rooting armadillos (g), serpents, eagles (later two
fit
>well with the Aztlan theme i broached earlier and link through various
>historic periods to the past ....)

All I happen to have with me are Spanish sources, so I'll give a stab at
some of these in that language.  I rather like the idea of a Spanish name
since there are so few out there in the known world and it reflects the
flavor of much of our mundane area.  The drawback is that, as has been
pointed out before, some of these sound like residential developments.

Southern Hills: Las Colinas del Sur
Scottish Highlands are "Las Tierras Altas del Norte de Escocia."  Assuming
the    same terms were used medievally for Scotland so that it serves as a
model,    "Las Tierras Altas del Sur Ansteorra" would work, "Tierras Altas"
for short.
**If** "Leon" does prove animal names are okay in Spanish, then
   "bison"--"Bisonte"
   "serpents"--"Sierpes" o "Culebras"
   "eagles"--"A'guilas"

>... political / familial associations - we are a "child" of ansteorra,
perhaps a
>name / iconography that reflects this, something that shows we are still
>part of the kingdom but unique and growing seperate ... how does a star
>give birth to a rising star ???  the star image is a very powerful one,
would
>be good one to carry forward ...

I like the idea; however, I can see some difficulty with this meeting the
heraldic requirement that it match a period naming practice, unless we
treat the name "Ansteorra" as a tribal name.  However, what might work is
to get some "good-old days" stories about those folks instrumental in
creating and promoting the southern region to see if there is a "creation
myth" we could build on to create a name.

AElfwyn