SR - whats in a name?

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Wed Aug 19 19:36:31 PDT 1998

I agree.

Gilli

-----Original Message-----
From: j'lynn yeates <jyeates at bga.com>
To: southern at Ansteorra.ORG <southern at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 6:45 PM
Subject: SR - whats in a name?

names have power thus the naming of a new thing should be done with
great care and consideration  ....

On 19 Aug 98, at 16:47, Brent & Susan Rachel wrote:

> In my opinion, everything that we have done leading up to the publication
> of the first newsletter was merely prep work.  In my mind, the real
> exchange of information begins now.., now we are capable of reaching the
> broader audience of a potential Principality outside of this electronic
> list.
>
> Therefore I humbly suggest that the real call for names for the
> Principality/Region begin *now*.  I truly believe that we would be doing a
> disservice to the others not on this list if we shoot for an October
> completion date for the naming process.

excellent point now that there is a method to pass along discussion and
call from input from everyone, not just the cyber-cynn ...

in my opinion names should reflect ...

.... discription of some major features that make a region unique ("the
southern hills", the many rivers, ... maybe something to reflect a
"highland"
environment - how are regions named in highland scotland, wales, ireland,
europe .... ), the climate, flora / fauna (the great herds of bison
("cattle")
that once grazed here, rooting armadillos (g), serpents, eagles (later two
fit
well with the Aztlan theme i broached earlier and link through various
historic periods to the past ....)

... ethnic affiliation of self or ancestors (.... ansteorra was "settled"
and
created primarily by keltoi, so i'm all in favor of keltoi nameing).  how
about
something that reflects all the people (the true wealth of the region) and
not
some small segment or people / period

... political / familial associations - we are a "child" of ansteorra,
perhaps a
name / iconography that reflects this, something that shows we are still
part of the kingdom but unique and growing seperate ... how does a star
give birth to a rising star ???  the star image is a very powerful one,
would
be good one to carry forward ...

names that i feel should be avoided ...

... any that are based on "elite" groups - why build more walls than
necessary?  better to name something that represents *all* the people, not
just some small segment

... names based on "traditional" mythic animals - done to death!

... overly complex structures, especially those in unfamilair languages
(KISS).  these tend to reflect small segments and not the region as a whole.

other ideas anyone ????

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves