SR - Some Thoughts on Names

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Thu Aug 20 07:15:40 PDT 1998

	Greetings all,

	While plying my way through this thread on names, one thing
continuously: the vast majority of these suggested names do not, in my
opinion, sound like actual place names. I mean think about it; real
place names tend to be somewhat descriptive either of the land or its
people. You find lots of place names for cities and towns that basically
mean a good place to cross a river, such as Stamford, or describe the
area like Campo di Fiori (field of flowers). National or regional names
very often (most often?) describe the people who live there; England,
France, Gascony, Germany are all examples of this. All of those names
basically mean "land of the Angles" in England's case, and so on.

	So following this logic, have we thought about names that
basically mean "Land of the Southerners" or something along those lines?
Perhaps we could try to translate "Land of the Southerners" or "Southern
Land" or some other variation into medieval French, middle or old
English, Occitan, German and a few other languages and see if any of
them sound good. Maybe, just maybe, one or two of these names will sound
like real place names. What the heck, its worth a try, right?

	Pendaran