SR - Naming the region

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Thu Aug 20 11:35:12 PDT 1998

Daniel the boggleman wrote:

> Since I know essentially no Spanish or Portuguese, I can't say what
> these might mean; I don't even know if "Estrella" is "star" or not.
> Confirmation?

Yep.  Star--"estrella de los Alpes" is "edelweiss"; "estrella de mar" is
"starfish"; "estrella de rabo" is "comet"; "estrella polar" is the "pole
star"; "estrella vespertina" is the "evening star"; "estrella filante"
is "shooting star."

> There is no conflict by translation, but "Estr{e^}la do Sul" might be
> aurally too close to "Estrella del Sur" -- anyone know how they are
> pronounced?

No idea about the Portuguese, but the Spanish (at least around
here--lots of dialectical variation) would be "ess-TRay-yuh dell Sewr"
(anyone is welcome to quibble--I'm notorious for my poor
transcriptions).
> Caveats and avenues for futher research:
>
> - what are the derivations?  Any other known patterns, like in
> surnames?

Juliana had some notes, and all see if I can find a Diez-Melcon.

> - major caveat: are these names period or way post-period?  Mount
> Estrella would be the best-looking place to start, it being in Spain
> after all, and mountains don't get formed like, say, new towns.  It's
> on a direct line between Madrid and Grenada, about 75 miles north of
> the latter, in the Sierra Morena.  Seeing "Sierra" reminds me that it
> means "mountains", I think ("Sierra Nevada", e.g.),

"Mountain range," to be more precise.

I'll keep looking.

AElfwyn