SR - Naming the region

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Aug 20 21:27:39 PDT 1998

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, j'lynn yeates wrote:
> ... what would "heart of the star" be ???

My first guess is "a place where people aren't from", since it
postulates a heart for a star and we live there -- but I could be
wrong.  I don't know that the modern English concept of "heart"
meaning "center" applies in other languages and cultures.  The Oxford
English Dictionary defines it as meaning 17, "The innermost or central
part of anything; the centre, middle" with a first citation of about
1310, "That ys in heovene hert in-hyde".  A later citation (1530)
mentions "The hearte of Fraunce".

As well, some residents of the Central Region, for example, might
object to the south declaring themselves "the heart" ...

Daniel "then shall the leman leap as an heart" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.