SR - Re: Lionsmouth? (fwd)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Aug 21 10:37:52 PDT 1998

On 21 Aug 98, at 8:45, Dennis Grace wrote:

> 'wolf notes:
>
> > while the surface water of the region is copious (and overly managed
> > and contained ... frown), the true wealth of the region is in the aquifers
> > .. "deep water", "hidden water", "dark water" (?) ... perhaps connected to
> >  "spring"  concept mentioned earlier
>
> Hmmm.  I think you may have something there, 'wolf.  In French we could
> use something like "Eau Cache" (hidden water) or "Lac Souterrain"
> (underground lake).  In practice, either of these would prabably have been
> run together as a single word--i.e.:
>
> Eaucache

unfortunately, sounds like a commercial-grade french perfume targeted for
the yuppoid mall market ... (grin)

> Lacsouterrain

i rather like that one .... "resonates" well, sounds like a actual regional
place name, even though it's french (g)

> Frankly (no pun intended) I think both of these sound like real place
> names.

no problem, dosn't gaul in the least ....

> I think the Italian for "hidden water" is something like "Latente
> Acqua," but I'm not sure how the Italiians would have used that
> information in a place name.

dosn't really work, seems "dusty" and "dead", dosn't really "resonate" well,
omplies a place i would want to visit  (... hmmm, discussing place names
in same manner one would discuss wines, interesting)

> (I don't have a dictionary handy, can someone [Sir Conor?] check those
> genders for me?)

you need a dictionary to figure out gender?  boyo, we need to have a long
talk ... (g)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves