SR - Names - French

Rollie W. Reid carcassonnais at geocities.com
Fri Aug 21 02:02:31 PDT 1998

Lyonel suggested,

  In
> French we could
> use something like "Eau Cache" (hidden water) or "Lac Souterrain"
> (underground lake).  In practice, either of these would
> prabably have
> been run together as a single word--i.e.:
>
> Eaucache
> Lacsouterrain
>
> Frankly (no pun intended) I think both of these sound like
> real place
> names.
>
> I think the Italian for "hidden water" is something like "Latente
> Acqua," but I'm not sure how the Italiians would have used that
> information in a place name.
>
> (I don't have a dictionary handy, can someone [Sir Conor?]
> check those
> genders for me?)

I actually found a French town "Eaux-Bonnes"  meaning good water.  It
should definitely be in the plural.  "Eaux Cache"  with an accent on
the final e.  Run it together as Eauxcache, or Eaucache, since the x
is not pronounced anyway.  It would be pronounced "o-ka-shai" with the
accent in the middle.

I kind of like it.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo